Book Review: The Black Ice (Harry Bosch 2) by Michael Connelly

3/5 stars. I am glad that I started the Harry Bosch series in publication order, but I certainly enjoyed The Black Echo, book one, quite a bit more than this one. I struggled to get through The Black Ice, although I did enjoy the audiobook narration, and the last third of this novel was action-packed, but the set up took a while to develop, which detracted from my reading experience quite a lot.


My experience of the series so far shows that Harry Bosch is a genuinely authentic and caring detective who wants to do the right thing, even if it goes against his bosses’ wishes. He is such a well-written and true-to-life character. My favorite parts of these stories is the backstory - how Harry got to where he is today and how much those experiences have impacted his character. I look forward to continuing the series with book three very soon and I look forward to the continuing development of Harry’s character.


As I said after reading The Black Echo, I regret that I did not pick up this series years ago when I was deeply enjoying mystery and thrillers more regularly. Connelly is an excellent writer who has obviously spent time around police stations for many years. He builds a strong mystery, with unique elements, and adds some wonderful characters and experiences to the backstory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Faith of Beasts (The Captives War book 2) by James S.A. Corey

Book Review: The Book of Fallen Leaves (The Autumn Empire 1) by A.S. Tamaki

Book Review: Maya: Seed Takes Root by Anand Gandhi & Zain Memon (audiobook narrated by Hugo Weaving)