Book Review: The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch 4) by Michael Connelly
4/5 stars. Sometimes, I do not like Harry Bosch, but other times I feel sympathy for him. He is certainly a darkly emotional character and has some difficult life events to overcome; however, some of his choices seem disjointed and out-of-place for a (mostly) successful LAPD detective. The word unhinged definitely applies to him at times.
This novel begins with Harry on Involuntary Stress Leave, being required to attend counseling sessions with the department psychologist. He’s not happy about it at all and he has too much time on his hands. He starts investigating a cold case that has personal meaning to him. The case leads him in unexpected directions and causes his continued employment with the LAPD to be further in question. Thankfully, his old nemesis, Capt. Irving, is on his side and wants him back on the job.
These books offer some wonderful backstory, and the writing is superb. Connelly has created an interesting and multi-faceted character in Harry Bosch. I am especially glad that I began this series with book one, so that I can watch the progression of the characters and the writing process. I look forward to continuing with Connelly’s works and plan to read everything by him in publication order and will continue the Bosch novels ASAP.
Comments
Post a Comment