Book Review: Scion by James Islington


5/5 stars. I have never been a big reader of cyberpunk, but this is about the fifth book of this genre that I have read this year, and the second that I have finished in the last couple of weeks. This was a short, fast-paced novel filled with action that features an assassin hired to PROTECT a client who has been targeted for murder twice already. As we would expect from Mr. Islington, this story features great world building, excellent character development, and a fascinating storyline with intriguing twists. This novel has the dark setting and vibes of Blade Runner and Neuromancer mixed with a protagonist like Kalam Mekhar (Malazan) or Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher). So good!!

This novel feels mostly like a standalone, with one or two exceptions, so I am not sure that Islington has plans for more stories in this world, but I do hope so. I am pleased to see him writing some scifi, especially since his fantasy novels always seem to have a hint of scifi in them. I am also excited to finally see an assassin novel with an actual assassin and, even though we get mostly the protection story, there are a couple of assassin moments that are fantastic.

Overall, a remarkable story that is a throwback to some of the best cyberpunk tales, but with its own story to tell. Highly recommended!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Faith of Beasts (The Captives War book 2) by James S.A. Corey

Book Review: The Book of Fallen Leaves (The Autumn Empire 1) by A.S. Tamaki

Book Review: Maya: Seed Takes Root by Anand Gandhi & Zain Memon (audiobook narrated by Hugo Weaving)