Book Review: Whispers of the Storm (Song of the Damned 1) by Z.B. Steele

4.5/5 stars. We get the story of the early life of Redlin of the Wolves. Redlin quickly becomes a classic Grimdark character for whom the reader feels sympathy - until he does something so unexpected and vile, one must wonder if he is worthy of that sympathy, or if he is even a good person. Redlin’s story is one of abandonment and the desire to become famous to prove to his family that he was worthy of their love, but maybe he is nothing more than a psychopath in the vein of Jorg Ancrath. Steele is an excellent writer whose imagination is only exceeded by his ambition in telling this dark framed narrative. Redlin is one of the most intriguing characters I have read since reading The First Law, The Broken Empire, and The Sun Eater series.


I admire the way Steele references earlier works by other authors that were influential on his writing by using names and places that tie aspects of those to his story, but this is also distracting at times and a bit overdone, in my opinion. Somewhat similar in the way Ruocchio overindulges his classical literary training in Sun Eater. Nonetheless, I enjoyed this novel tremendously and look forward to continuing the series.


Steele certainly set up the reader with an excellent cliffhanger at the end of this novel. I am glad that I waited to read this until book two was already in my hands. I can only hope book three releases soon!! Highly recommended!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Faith of Beasts (The Captives War book 2) by James S.A. Corey

Book Review: The Book of Fallen Leaves (The Autumn Empire 1) by A.S. Tamaki

Book Review: Maya: Seed Takes Root by Anand Gandhi & Zain Memon (audiobook narrated by Hugo Weaving)