Book Review: Riven Earth (Book of Astea 1) by Zammar Ahmer
4.5/5 stars. Ahmer has written an excellent introduction to the world of Astea, with wonderful characters, magic connected to the natural world, and a conflict that extends into two generations of humans living in this world.
The current timeline with King Kaido, Vicereine Raia, and Queen Jaswyn, continues the challenges and the conflict that were initially faced by their parents’ generation, as we get the backstory from King Isaiah, Viceroy Galtus, and General Otto, who were the leaders of the rebellion against the Dryads - a forest-dwelling magic race. The Dryads controlled the world until Isaiah learned the method to defeat them in battle. The new generation is now faced with finding ways to survive on their own, while their own subjects rebel for lack of food and resources. Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention the antagonist of this generation. Maisades is quite a cunning and evil person, and I sincerely hope he gets his comeuppance soon!
Zammar Ahmer is an excellent writer. His prose is superb and his imagination has created a world of magic, religion, and conflict that looks impossible to overcome. I look forward to seeing how this story resolves, especially after the surprise ending of this novel - even though it had been hinted at, I never saw it coming!
Finally, I want to thank the author for an ARC copy of the audiobook, that is narrated by Adriel Brandt. Brandt does an outstanding job in depicting all of the characters’ voices perfectly.
Comments
Post a Comment