Book Review: Trunk Music (Harry Bosch 5) by Michael Connelly

4/5 stars. Once again, I have read a good detective novel but have disliked the detective through most of the story. I know Bosch is the epitome of the ‘hard-boiled detective,’ but he is not a character that I like more than about 15% of the time. He’s rude, he causes himself most of the problems that he has, he ignores rules and procedures, but he solves crimes - even when they aren’t his cases to solve.

Connelly is an exceptionally good writer and creates some unique crime mysteries with intriguing twists, but at what point will Bosch become someone I enjoy reading about?!? So far, Jack McEvoy (from The Poet) is a much better character! He solves crimes without making everyone around him mad at him. Maybe Harry Bosch will always be like this and will never grow up, but I really hope he does.

This story involves The Mob, Las Vegas, the FBI, and a past love interest of Harry’s. Plus, Harry has a new boss and a third partner to work with him and Jerry Edgar. Certainly, the story made for an interesting murder mystery, but all the small intricate connections are what made this mystery entertaining.

Onward to the next Connelly novel, in publication order - Blood Work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Faith of Beasts (The Captives War book 2) by James S.A. Corey

Book Review: Daughter of Crows (Academy of Kindness 1) by Mark Lawrence

Book Review: The Book of Fallen Leaves (The Autumn Empire 1) by A.S. Tamaki